adderblogger

"Here's to a good woman, may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them" - dedicated to mothers and daughters everywhere.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Never say "sit down & be patient" to an adult w/ADD


"Sit down and be patient" has to be one of the most dreaded phrases I have ever heard. Maybe if a drink and entertainment is provided, I'll manage it. But think of how many situations require the ability to do just that - from organized school on up. And I suck at it. At least until now.

It is Day 10 on my new medicine for attention deficit disorder. I honestly believe in that short of a time period I have experienced an increased ability to be patient. It has been evidenced in my interactions with others, including my kids - hallelujah! It shows up in my work. And I am learning to be patient with ME. You know, the whole "give yourself some credit/slack"... all those ways that people care for themselves. I excel at beating myself up (mentally, of course); but now I am taking tentative, baby steps at positive self-talk/self-care and it feels so very good!!!

"Patience & perseverence have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and
obstacles vanish."
John Quincy Adams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home