adderblogger

"Here's to a good woman, may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them" - dedicated to mothers and daughters everywhere.

Friday, August 25, 2006

HARD WORK and Adderall


Day 20 on medication for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder - and I am working hard!!!

Today - I did something I have not done since...well, not sure. I am working hard at a new endeavor and enjoying it so much!!! I mean - stick-to-it (even when things are not going as planned) kind of work. Allowing enough time, instead of waiting until the last minute. Not giving up after the first or second try.

I have seriously never had this kind of tenacity before. Oh, I am so grateful/thankful/down on my knees and counting my blessings/ kind of thankful.

Before I started my med - I would try (OH...I had such plans!!!). But if it didn't work out or go smoothly, I was out of there. I HAD to get up and leave and go do something else. Now, I want you to understand - this felt like a physical thing. Even if i tried to "psych" myself out and say..."come on, you can do this". I just couldn't. Nothing more and nothing less.

My daughter knows a girl that took adderall her first year in colllege; she is NOT attention deficit disorder but thought that adderall would help her CONCENTRATE as a freshman. WOW....did that backfire. She almost flunked out - she could not sleep and couldn't set priorities and just didn't feel herself. In contrast, I sleep great and can finally set priorities and feel like myself but equipped. I am mentioning this because there has been some publicity lately about people trying to obtain ADD medications on the MISTAKEN IDEA that it will help them. If you are not ADD or ADHD, then it just might not work for you?!?

Again, as I said in earlier posts, I am trying hard not to learn about any ADD medications.

I want to experience an authentic response to this...it is for me...and all my people that love me. They believe I can do all the things I say I will. If a medicine is going to allow me to do that,
SO BE IT!!! I waited way to long to try it.

Again, the point is to continue to search for solutions that will work for you!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jacq said...

I was the complete opposite. I read about every type of medication out there. The funny thing is I am on the oldest medication for ADHD out there - Ritalin. It works well for me. I take the short acting kind so I can adjust my doses according to my activities. Mostly if I want to get things done, I take it.

I'm glad meds are working well for you. It is amazing to have the feeling that you finally feel like the rest of the world. I'm actually sitting here waiting for my meds to kick in so that I can get to work on my paper. I find it takes about 40min to really start to work. That is when I usually to busy work or read email. Then I'm all set to get to work and I've gotten most of the distractions out of the way.

5:30 AM  
Blogger k said...

It really does sound like the med works you are on works for you - so cool that you are in the driver's seat...when you really need it, you know when to take it and how long it will last.
I really wish I had not waited this long for this last type of "help".
I am going to take one class this fall - am working on my second masters and this one is taking about as long as the first one.
thanks for the comment and keep writing back, if you like.
You would be my first fellow ADD friend!

10:51 AM  
Blogger k said...

this is (adderblogger) - meant to ask if you have read any of the books by Sue Grafton...series about a female detective. "J is for Judgement" was good. Thanks -K

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home