adderblogger

"Here's to a good woman, may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them" - dedicated to mothers and daughters everywhere.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

my marshmellow has caught fire! (on ADHD meds)


There are so many resources out there about attention deficit disorder!
Scattered, by Gabor Mate, is about "how attention deficit disorder originate and what you can do about it". Of course, one of the things I have chosen to do about my adhd is finally take medication; I have now been on adderall for 3 full months!

The chapter that caught my eye - and that I went straight to - is titled
'My marshmellow caught fire: Motivation and Autonomy'.
That is just what has happended in my life!!! I was just hanging around and struggling and then, with the help of meds, I am transformed...on fire! The image is just so funny and so perfect for what has happened to me, seriously.
The funny thing is that this particular chapter addresses how often parents of ADD children deal with attempting to keep their kids focused and motivated. Later in the book, the (sometimes) transforming effect that effective treatment and meds can have is explored...
"Only people who have NOT witnessed or personally experienced how helpful medications can be could maintain a categorical opposition to their use. The positive effects are often dramatic and immediate".
Certainly true for me!!! I now every day work consistently towards my personal and professional goals...what more can I add than that?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jacq said...

In years gone by I was one of those people that thought it was "wrong to drug kids in order to make them easier for teachers to deal with." I now have changed my tune entirely. While I would still be careful with how I approached meds and kids I would not rule them out by any means, and for adults I would definately check them out.

I started taking meds for my ADHD 3 years ago. I take short acting Ritalin and that works well for me as I don't need it all the time. I take it when I'm studying and most of the time at work. Funny though, I don't need it when I am teaching. I think the rush of "performing" is enough of a stimulant to keep me on track. I mainly need it for doing desk work and organizing.

I'd love it if you linked to my blog. http://adhdnme.blogspot.com

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home